DRYER SAFETY 101
By majorapplia6715812, Feb 22 2017 06:26PM
According to the National Fire Protection Association, nearly 17,000 house fires were caused by clothes dryers and washing machines in the US in 2010. This accounts for roughly 4.5% of all house fires in the country for that year. Many of these fires were the result of clogged or improperly installed dryer vents that went unnoticed by homeowners. These vents are designed to remove residual moisture from your house during the drying process, but if neglected they can constitute serious fire hazards. Today, we will help you inspect and evaluate the safety of the dryer vent in your home.
Check Connections: Pull your dryer out and make sure that they exhaust hose is connected to the dryer. Typically, the connection is located on the back of the dryer, but some may be located on the side or beneath the unit. If the exhaust vent becomes disconnected, moisture will linger in your laundry area and flammable dryer lint will begin to accumulate within the back of the dryer. That additional moisture can promote mold growth in your home, while the dryer lint can easily start a house fire.
Check for Kinks: The exhause hose should not be any longer than it needs to be. Long, loose lengths of hose are prone to kinks and twists that restrict the air flow. As lint becomes trapped in the kinks and airflow is restricted, heat can build up in your dryer and eventually trigger a fire. This is also a common culprit when your dryer is taking too long to dry the clothes.
Check Where Exhaust Terminates: Sometimes, installers will vent dryer exhaust into an attic or crawl space rather than the exterior of a home. Dryer exhaust must be vented outside and away from your home in order to avoid moid growth and to minimize the chance of fire. Find out where your exhaust terminates, and if it is not outside your home, please take steps to have it rerouted as soon as possible. Please note that the total length of the exhaust hose should not exceed 25' in order to ensure adequate airflow. The end of your exhause vent should be fitted with a backdraft damper, but it should not be fitted with a screen. These screens accumulate stray lint and can become serious fire hazards if left unattended. Chec the end of your exhaust vent periodically and clear any lint buildup.
Clean Lint Trap: It is important to clean your lint trap/screen after EVERY load of laundry. Failure to do so could cause lint buildup inside the dryer and eventually cause a fire.
Please call us if you have any questions or need one of our highly qualified technicians to inspect your laundry products. If you are concerned about the safety of your dryer vent, do not wait until it becomes a serious hazard to your family's safety. We can provide peace of mind that your home is protected from dryer vent fires.